Dr. Joshua PeschelAssistant Professor and
Black & Veatch Faculty Fellow Twitter: @peschel
Email: email@example.com Office: 2348 Elings Hall
Phone: (515) 294-4814 CV | Media Inquiries | News
Papers | Research | Students | Teaching
Dr. Joshua Peschel is an Assistant Professor of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering and Black & Veatch Faculty Fellow at Iowa State University; he also holds courtesy appointments in the departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering. Dr. Peschel conducts research in the area of cyber-agricultural systems where he and his students create new technologies, data sets, and computational models for sensing and sensemaking. His research has been supported by the National Science Foundation, U.S. Departments of Agriculture, Defense and Energy, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and a number of commodity groups and private industry partners.
- NSF NRI is funding my research to develop new vision-based methods for physical object manipuation by small flying robots in rainforests ($1.2M, Collaborative work with the University of Nebraska and Texas A&M University).
- USDA-NIFA is funding my research to create the next generation of sorghum phenotyping robots that will also find sugarcane aphids ($500K, Collaborative work with Fort Valley State University and University of Georgia).
- Connected World magazine has recognized me as a 2019 Pioneer for my reasearch work to understand and advance smart agricultural systems.
- I have been appointed as an Associate Editor for Transactions of the ASABE and as an Editorial Board member for Nature Scientific Reports.
- Spring 2019
- Fall 2019
Recent Publications (Complete List)
- Sierra N. Young, Joshua M. Peschel and Erkan Kayacan (2018), "Design and Field Evaluation of a Ground Robot for High-Throughput Phenotyping of Energy Sorghum," Precision Agriculture, doi:10.1007/s11119-018-9601-6. [Download: pdf][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Erkan Kayacan, Wouter Saeys, Herman Ramon, Calin Belta and Joshua M. Peschel (2018), "Experimental Validation of Embedded Linear and Nonlinear MPC: As Applied to Articulated Unmanned Ground Vehicle," IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, doi:10.1109/TMECH.2018.2854877. [Download: pre-print][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Erkan Kayacan, Sierra N. Young, Joshua M. Peschel and Girish Chowdhary (2018), "High Precision Control of Tracked Field Robots in the Presence of Unknown Traction Coefficients," Journal of Field Robotics, doi:10.1002/rob.21794. [Download: pre-print][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Fernanda P. Maciel and Joshua M. Peschel (2018), "A GIS-Based Tool for Bioaccumulation Risk Analysis and Its Application to Study Polychlorinated Biphenyls in the Great Lakes," AMS Environmental Science, doi:10.3934/environsci.2018.1.1. [Download: pdf][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Sierra N. Young, Joshua M. Peschel, Gopal Penny, Sally Thompson and Veena Srinivasan (2017), "Robot-Assisted Measurement for Hydrologic Understanding in Data Sparse Regions," Water, doi:10.3390/w9070494. [Download: pdf][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Erkan Kayacan, Joshua M. Peschel and Girish Chowdhary (2017), "A Self-Learning Disturbance Observer for Nonlinear Systems in Feedback-Error Learning Scheme," Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, doi:10.1016/j.engappai.2017.04.013. [Download: pre-print][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Christopher M. Chini, James F. Canning, Kelsey L. Schreiber, Joshua M. Peschel and Ashlynn S. Stillwell (2017), "The Green Experiment: Cities, Green Stormwater Infrastructure, and Sustainability," Sustainability, doi:10.3390/su9010105. [Download: pdf][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Tyler A. DeNooyer, Joshua M. Peschel, Zhenxing Zhang and Ashlynn S. Stillwell (2016), "Integrating Water Resources and Power Generation: The Energy-Water Nexus in Illinois," Applied Energy, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.10.071. [Download: pre-print][Cite: bib, enw, ris]
- Christopher M. Chini, Jeff F. Wallace, Cassandra J. Rutherford and Joshua M. Peschel (2015), "Shearing Failure Visualization via Particle Tracking in Soft Clay using a Transparent Soil," ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, doi:10.1520/GTJ20140210. [Download: pre-print][Cite: bib, enw, ris]